We recently learned that Lou Lucke, one of our long-time category editors, passed away on May 16, 2009. Lou was a category editor for Computing Reviews--responsible for the General Literature (A) and Computing Milieux (K) areas--for over 10 years, so we came to know him well. Lou took the extra time needed to give thoughtful comments to reviewers, and his dedication to his role as an editor was always evident. Frequently, I would see notes from Lou to reviewers saying things like, "Your reviews are always interesting to read. Keep up the good work." When a review needed revisions, he always approached reviewers with a coaching tone that they appreciated.
I spoke with Lou on the phone in December, and he mentioned that he was very active in his community--including working on the historic preservation of local buildings and serving on the boards of various community organizations. Over the course of his career, he worked as a systems engineer at IBM, an executive advisor and senior research engineer at McDonnell Douglas Co., and the director of IT services at Montana State University -- Northern. According to his obituary, "[Lou] fixed more than 161 computers and gave them to people who could not afford them."
We thoroughly enjoyed working with him, and he will be greatly missed by the CR community.
Topics: General Literature (A) & Computing Milieux (K)
Bsc: Engineering Physics - Montana State University - 1954
Bsc: Earth Sciences, Geology - Montana State University - 1976
Various courses, seminars, instruction and training on Computer hardware, software, applications and management.
Association for Computing Machinery - Regional Sec./1959; Reviewer/1969 -
Data Processing Management Association - MT Industry & Government Representative/1970-1973
Montana Data processing Association - President/1979-1981 - Administrative Executive/1982-1989
Montana University System Computer Coordination Committee - Representative/1969É
State of Montana Computer Planning Committee - Representative/1970-1971
Telecommunications Coordinator - WICHE, Montana University System /1972-1981
Montana Academy of Science - Member/1969-1981
1999 - present; Owner/Manager Lou Lucke Company - Computer Consulting
1981 - 1999; Director of Information Technology Services and Instructor; Montana State University - Northern
1969 - 1981; Director MSU-Bozeman Computing Services. Instructor/1975-77
1965 - 1969; Executive Advisor and Senior Research Engineer; McDonnell Douglas Co.
1962 - 1965; Programmer to Programming Supervisor; North American Aviation - S & ID
1960 - 1962; Systems Engineer; IBM
1955 - 1960; Manager to President; Computer Service Centre Ltd.
Over a dozen technical articles in computing from 1958.
Two papers at ACM Conferences. Two general magazine articles.
One television production. One radio series. One newspaper series.
One book in preparation.
Who's Who in the West.
Dictionary of International Biography.
Other professional computer compendiums.
Two patents; not computer related.
Consultant to various private businesses, local governments and others.
Montana Historical Society - Consultant/donor - 1969-
HiLine Economic Development Council - Member./1985 -1986
Montana Land and Mineral Owners Association - Director/1987 -1996
Clack Museum Foundation - Chairman of the Board of Directors /1990 -1996
Hill County Clack Musem - Chairman of the Board of Directors/ 2000-
SCORE - Chairman of the Board of Directors/2000 - Hiavre Chamber of Commerce Tourism Committee - member/1999 - MSU Flying Bobcats - Vice President/1979-1981
Civil Air Patrol - Senior Member/1978-81/1994 -
- Administrative and Managerial Processing
- Agriculture (Farm and Ranch): Accounting, Cow/calf records, Feed mixes, Economic Models, Production Statistics
- Banking (Full Service): Demand Deposit, Time-Pay, Savings, Mortgage Loans, Commercial Loans, Trust accounting
- Construction (Buildings, Roads, Railroads and Airports): Labor and Materials Accounting, Bid Estimating, Project Scheduling
- Government (State and Local): Accounting, Facilities Inventory, Geocoding
- Health Care (Hospitals and Nursing Homes): In/Out Patient Billing, Departmental and General Accounting, Dietetics, Pharmacy, Medical Records
- Insurance (Life and Health): Internal Accounting, Policies, Claims, Sales
- Manufacturing (Metals and Assembly): Financial Accounting, Inventory, Man/Machine Scheduling
- Mining (Precious Metals): General Accounting, Fixed Assets, Mine and Surface Scheduling
- Power (Electrical): Utility Billing
- Retail (Dry Goods): Inventory, Financial Accounting
- Schools (Elem./Sec. and Higher Ed'): Scheduling, Registration, Attendance, Grading, Transportation, Meals, Financial Accounting, Physical Plant, Auxiliaries, Alumni, Foundation
- Wholesale (Automotive and Heavy Equipment): Inventory, Financial Accounting
- Scientific and Engineering Processing
- Aerospace: Simulations, Guidance and Navigation, Bench Testing, Uplink and Downlink Communications, Airframe Structural Analysis, In-flight Monitoring
- Civil Engineering: Surveying, Road and Highway Design, Building Structural Analysis, Power Grids, Water Systems, Railroad Design, Aerial Mapping
- Computers: Operating Systems, Languages, Utilities, Applications
- Communications: Telephone Systems, Digital Networks, LANS, WANS
- Petroleum Engineering: Exploration, Production, Pipelining,